Another Home Alone? What are people’s thoughts and takes

Yes, you read right, another Home alone movie. They have milked it to the last drop but even this is pushing it. After the original release in 1990, they have made 4 others. In my opinion, they should have stopped at one and left the Christmas classic alone as it should have been. The family favorite will be coming back again after the last release in 2012. It was released on November 12, 2021.

The Drive Against It

After Disney announced the trailer on October 12, there has been an extremely negative response. Most say they should not reboot yet another movie and just stick to the 90s classic. On YouTube, most of the videos that showcase the trailer have a greater amount of dislikes than likes. I completely agree with them! One movie was a classic, an amazing concept that everyone loved. Two movies were pushing it but easy to ignore. But then they didn’t stop coming. More and more came out and honestly I haven’t watched them and I would not like to. After ‘Home Alone 2: Lost in New York’ everyone was done. The OG made $476.7 million and it went downhill from there.

The fans aren’t the only ones that have actively spoken against it. The original director Chris Columbus gave his opinions to Insider in 2020 “No, nobody got in touch with me about it, and it’s a waste of time as far as I’m concerned. What’s the point? I’m a firm believer that you don’t remake films that have had the longevity of Home Alone,” he said. “You’re not going to create lightning in a bottle again. It’s just not going to happen. So why do it? It’s like doing a paint-by-numbers version of a Disney animated film — a live-action version of that. What’s the point? It’s been done. Do your own thing. Even if you fail miserably, at least you have come up with something original,” Columbus continued.

Though Macaulay Culkin hasn’t shared his opinion he has disclosed that he will not be in the new reboot. He won’t even be making a cameo.

Repetition

Surprise surprise, it’s about the same thing as before. A young child left alone for Christmas, a big chaotic family, burglars going for the house, and a witty mischievous child. A press release from Disney shows how the movie is the same.

Max Mercer is a mischievous and resourceful young boy who has been left behind while his family is in Japan for the holidays. So, when a married couple attempting to retrieve a priceless heirloom set their sights on the Mercer family’s home, it is up to Max to protect it from the trespassers…and he will do whatever it takes to keep them out. Hilarious hijinks of epic proportions ensued, but despite the absolute chaos, Max comes to realize that there is no place like home sweet home.

As you can see, it is the same. Max (Archie Yates) does the same thing as Macaulay Culkin except for having new tricks and traps.

My Opinion

So I watched it, and as expected it was bad. I didn’t like the concept at all, and I disliked how the movie ended. The acting wasn’t good at all, and the storyline was strange and not at all realistic. Yes, the whole concept is unrealistic but it was very very out there. While I disliked it as a whole, some parts such as the trap with the treadmill, and the references to the original movie did make it better. That was about all I liked about it though. Overall it was just a failed attempt to redo the classic. It was overdone and too confident. Even if there had been no original and ‘Home Sweet Home Alone’ was a new concept, I must say I still wouldn’t have liked it. Maybe it’s all an inside joke about ruffling the feathers of the fans by continuing to make more of the same movie. I hope so because this movie was a joke. 

print