A Big Break For The Sci-Fi Nerds in the Form of Dune

The 2021 Dune adaptation directed by Denis Villeneuve, has been a major success and the sequel has already been approved. As of now, the sequel is set to be released on October 20, 2023. The classic 1965 novel by Frank Herbert has come to the big screen once again and is better than before. After David Lynch’s 1984 film, Denis Villeneuve’s has taken it to the next step. 

The Film’s overpowering success

After being released October 22, 2021, in theaters and on HBO Max, the movie has unsurprisingly been a huge success. As of November 2, ‘Dune has made over $300 million. It was the biggest opening for Warner Bros this year. After its major success, it is no surprise that the sequel’s release date is already set for October 20, 2023.

In terms of timeline, ‘Dune’ the film only made it halfway through the first book. We are left with an incomplete story that seems to just be getting started. This movie focuses on world-building and politics in this new universe. As someone who has never before even taken a glance at the world, after watching this film I feel I have a deeper and more educated understanding of what is going on. I think that Villeneuve showed beautifully the present and future through Paul Atreides’ visions. 

On top of having an amazing director, this film is packed with everything, like an amazing cast featuring Zendaya as Chani, Rebecca Ferguson as Paul’s mother, Lady Jessica Atreides and, Oscar Isaac as Paul’s father, Duke Leto Atreides. Even Jason Mamoa is in this film playing Duncan Idaho. Our main character Paul Atreides is played by Timothée Chalamet. Along with an amazing cast, the cinematography is close to unmatched. Along with filming in studio sets, they also captured much of the film on location. They used the deserts of Jordan and the United Arab Emirates for the environment of the harsh desert planet of Arrakis. 

The great success of the film didn’t come without challenges. When asked what the biggest challenge Denis Villeneuve faced on ‘Dune’ he replied “Dealing with Timothée Chalamet’s Hair. It’s Alive.” – Venice Film Festival

Strong Opinions

That wasn’t the only strong opinion of Villeneuve. He wanted people to experience Dune the way it was meant to be seen, on the biggest screen possible. He encouraged people to watch it in theaters and actively fought against ‘Dune’ being released on HBO Max. In an interview with Deadline, Villeneuve says, “I encourage people to see it on the big screen… It has been dreamed, designed, and shot thinking about IMAX. When you watch this movie on the big screen, it’s almost a physical experience. We designed the movie to be as immersive as possible, and for me, the big screen is part of the language.” 

Though he strongly fought against it, Dune was released in theaters along with HBO Max. 

I think they did an amazing job and I praise their excellent work. With this movie’s success and the anticipation for the next it will be challenging to wait so long to see the desert land of Arrakis on the big screen again, but rewarding when we can get more of the story.  

print